You may be feeling that guidance around COVID-19 preparedness in schools is changing every day, and you wouldn’t be wrong.
The team at Swing Education can’t predict in advance changes to state, local and district-level policies, but we can help you prepare to teach. Our COVID-19 Readiness Checklist will help you be ready to teach so you can continue accepting requests from your favorite schools.
COVID-19 Readiness Checklist
Before Accepting the Request
- Review the school’s COVID-19 policy in the request by tapping on the “Commitments” button in the app and opening the request. (Or select “Open Requests” on your computer and click the request.) You will find the safety checklist and a link to the school’s official policy.
After Accepting the Request
- Have your COVID-19 vaccination card ready to show. You can keep the original card in your wallet or take a photo of it with your phone. See our FAQs at the bottom of this article for links to digital vaccination cards available in most states.
- If you are not vaccinated, locate your most recent negative COVID-19 test. While Swing cannot predict how often an individual school will expect substitute teachers to be tested, we recommend a negative test that is no more than one week old. Find a free COVID-19 testing center near you HERE.
The Night Before the Assignment
Learn about the school’s check-in procedure by reviewing their official COVID-19 policy.
Please note: some schools may ask you to take a COVID-19 test on campus, even if you are vaccinated.
The Day of the Assignment
- Have a face mask with you. Regardless of the school’s policy, SwingSubs are required to wear a face mask while on assignment. You can review Swing Education’s COVID-19 policy HERE.
- Have your vaccination card (or evidence of a negative test) with you.
- Bring your government-issued identification card, such as a driver’s license, in case the school’s check-in policy requires it.
- If you believe your safety is at risk or a school is otherwise not providing a safe environment, you must inform Swing Support immediately (attn: School Safety Issue), and include a description of the environment or safety hazard. This is so that we can ensure you are not penalized for leaving, and so that we can investigate the safety issue with the school. Learn more.
Does Swing Education require SwingSubs to be vaccinated?
By law, substitute teachers in California are required to be fully vaccinated (2 weeks after your second dose in a 2-dose series, or at least 2 weeks after your first dose in a single-dose vaccine) to teach in schools.
Charter, public, and many private schools in New York City also require teachers to be vaccinated. Other states continue to update their guidance and may also implement vaccination and/or testing requirements. Please check your local health department’s website regularly.
Swing Education does not require vaccination and provides exemptions for religious or medical reasons when completing our COVID Vaccination Attestation Form (in states where applicable), but we strongly encourage it for those who are able and eligible.
Please keep in mind that subs with medical or religious exemptions for the COVID vaccinations, must still follow each individual school's unique COVID safety policies and guidelines. If you require an exemption, our school partners may set stricter requirements for their site. It is up to the discretion of the school or district to uphold individual policies which will be noted in each assignment (as shown above).
Where can I get a low or no-cost COVID-19 COVID-19 test?
Find a COVID-19 location near you HERE.
Where can I get a digital vaccination card?
Arizona: Register through MyIR Mobile.
I am vaccinated but the school is asking me to take a COVID-19 test. Do I have to take it?
Some schools may require testing regardless of vaccination status. If you are unwilling to take a test, you will be sent home without pay. Be sure to read the school’s official policy so you are aware of the check-in procedures, which may include mandatory testing.
What if the school does not require masks?
Swing’s official policy is that SwingSubs must wear masks on assignment, regardless of the school’s policy. You can review Swing Education's COVID-19 Policy for SwingSubs HERE.
I was turned away at a school because my COVID-19 test came back positive. Will I be paid?
No, you will not be paid if you are turned away because of a positive test.
If you're a W-2 Sub, please reach out to email@example.com to ask about certain COVID Sick Pay Benefits.
I was turned away at a school because I forgot my proof of vaccination. Will I be paid?
It is your responsibility to keep your proof of vaccination with you when you go out on assignment. We recommend:
- Taking a photo of your card
- Or downloading one of the digital vaccination record apps noted above.
You will not be paid if a school turns you away because you do not have proof of vaccination.
I have more questions. What should I do?
Please contact the school administrator if you have questions about a school or district’s policy. Please contact Swing Support HERE for any other questions.