Per the School Safety Omnibus Amendment, the following are background check requirements for substituting in Washington, D.C.:
- Background check and Work History Document Review
- Employment History form
- DC Fingerprint (Must be through the FBI)
What If I Already Did a Background Check with Applicant Services?
Background Checks from different businesses, organizations, or companies are not transferable. Swing requires all DC subs to submit a new background check with our partner "Applicant Services" to move their Swing accounts forward.
Background Check and Work History Form
All substitute teachers are required by law to complete a Work History Review. Please login to your Swing Education account to review the Disclosure of Background Investigation and the summary of your rights under the fair reporting act.
You will next review and sign our Acknowledgment and Authorization for Background investigation.
After signing, you can next complete the work history authorization form. The completed form will be sent to Gray Law, Swing Education's partner who conducts work history reviews.
Please note that during this process, we will contact all former employers listed and contact your character references. Due to this, the review could take 2-3 weeks to complete and update your account.
The work history review includes:
- Completing a form listing all employers for the past 20 years where the scope of employment involved direct interaction with children
- Affirmation that you have not been accused of sexual misconduct or similar claims. (Swing follows up with employers to confirm applicants' responses.)
- Character Reference Check
- Child Abuse Registries Check
- Credential Revoke Check
DC Fingerprint Record (must be submitted through the FBI)
You can complete this step with our partner, “Applicant Services.” Simply follow the instructions in this article.
After being fingerprinted, you will receive your background check results in as little as a few hours. If you don't receive them via email, log in to your Application Services account here, download your results, and then upload a copy of your results to your Swing account.