Register your account
If you have not already, please click here to register your account with Swing Education. We will be unable to update your account progress unless you have completed our registration form. Click here to register today!
Educational Requirements to Become a Substitute Teacher
New York state does not have a minimum educational requirement for substitute teachers, but some schools, districts, and substitute teacher companies do. (For example, Swing Education requires all of its New York substitute teachers to hold a bachelor’s degree.)
Credentials and Permits
Unlike many states, New York does not offer a specific substitute teacher permit, and a teaching certificate is not required to become a substitute teacher. However, in order to work with Swing Education, you will need to possess a teaching certificate.
There are a handful of advantages to subbing with a teaching certificate (i.e. substitutes without a certificate can work only 40 days in a given school district in an academic year). If you do hold a teaching certificate in New York, you can use this website to look up your information.
Substitute Teacher Background Check
Before becoming a substitute teacher in New York, you’ll need to go through a criminal background check. The first step is to get fingerprinted with the New York State Education Department (NYSED).
How To Schedule Your Fingerprinting Appointment
- Visit the IdentoGO site
- Enter your information and follow the prompts to set up your appointment
- Save the confirmation email for your records
Day of Your Fingerprint Appointment
- Bring the government-issued identification you provided when you signed up for the appointment
- Be prepared to pay $99 by business check, money order, or credit card
- At the conclusion of your appointment, the MorphoTrust enrollment agent will provide you with an IdentoGo receipt stating that you were fingerprinted. (Note: Keep your receipt if you intend to work with Swing Education and would like to be reimbursed!)
After Your Fingerprint Appointment
You can check your submission status by clicking on this link.
If You’ve Already Been Fingerprinted
If you’ve been fingerprinted since 2001 with the New York State Education Department, you won’t need to get fingerprinted again. (Schools and companies that work with substitute teachers will be able to access a current background check based on that original scan.)