How do I sub with Swing Education in Illinois?

Substitute Teaching License and Registration

You can substitute teach with Swing Education if you have a Substitute Teaching License or a Professional Educator License (PEL) in Illinois. If you do not have any one of these licenses already, applying for a Substitute Teacher License is likely the best option. To get started, log in or create an Education Licensure Information System (ELIS) account with the Illinois State Board of Education and follow the Substitute Application process.

Educational Requirements 

If you do not have a  Substitute Teaching License or a PEL, we will need to verify that you hold at least a Bachelor's Degree (BA or BS) from a regionally accredited university.

How to Get a Background Check

Before teaching as a substitute teacher in Illinois, you’ll need to get a background check.

Completing your TB test through Concentra:

We partnered with Concentra and created a medical authorization form so that we get sent the results directly. 

Substitute teachers must take and pass a Tuberculosis (TB) test. Some districts and schools, including Chicago Public Schools, require all teachers get tested within 90 days of starting work

Here’s how it works:

  1. Log into your Swing Education account
  2. Download the Concentra Employer Authorization form
  3. Print and complete the form
  4. Bring the form with you to a nearby Concentra location (Click here to find a nearby Concentra location.) You can either walk in or make an appointment. 
  5. Have your TB test completed
    • If you received your TB Skin test through Concentra, remember to return to have your TB Skin Test results read

Chicago Public School Do Not Hire List

Before teaching with Swing Education, you will have to certify that, to the best of your knowledge, you have never been on the CPS Do Not Hire List. 

How do I know if I’m on the Do Not Hire list?

If you ever worked at a CPS school and were added to the CPS Do Not Hire List, then you would have received a letter regarding your Do Not Hire designation. If you have questions, please visit this link: and click 'Do Not Hire' tab for more information

Mandated Reporter Acknowledgment Form

All substitute teachers in Illinois are Mandated Reporters under the Abused and Neglected Child Reporting Act [325 ILCS 5/4]. Please log in to your account to review and sign the Mandated Reporter Acknowledgment form to acknowledge your child abuse and neglect reporting obligations under the law. 


How do I get a Substitute teaching license?

Getting a Sub license

  • Once you have an account, log in and click “Apply for a New License, Endorsement, or Approval” on the home screen. Complete the application. 

  • A $50​ fee will be assessed electronically when the application is submitted. Please have a credit card available.

  • Send an official* transcript either electronically to, or via mail to:

Illinois State Board of Education
Educator Licensure
100 N. 1st Street
Springfield, IL 62777

*To be official, transcripts must be submitted in the original, sealed envelope from the college or university or be sent directly by the institution to the Illinois State Board of Education.

Register your license

Once you have obtained your license, you must register your license before you can start working as a substitute teacher. Simply log in to your ELIS account and follow the steps under Registrations in the Action Center. 


Additional Resources: 

Locations of schools we work with