Substitute Teaching License and Registration
You can substitute teach with Swing Education if you have a Substitute Teaching License or a Professional Educator License (PEL) in Illinois. If you do not have any one of these licenses already, applying for a Substitute Teacher License is likely the best option. To get started, log in or create an Education Licensure Information System (ELIS) account with the Illinois State Board of Education and follow the Substitute Application process. You must register your License in the regions you intend to work in. You should select Cook County as our school partners are within that region. If you have already registered your license, you can add more regions free of cost on the ELIS website.
You can also substitute teach if you have a BA degree (official transcript must be on file with the IL BOE) and either: a valid Educator License with Stipulations (“ELS”) or Paraprofessional License.
If you do not have a Substitute Teaching License or a PEL, and instead hold only an ELS, we will need to verify that you hold at least a Bachelor's Degree (BA or BS) from a regionally accredited university.
Background Check Requirements
Before teaching as a substitute teacher in Illinois, you’ll need to get a background check.
- Take this form to an Accurate Biometrics location near you. Bring your form, a current government-issued picture ID (such as a driver’s license, State ID, or passport) and approved form of payment (credit cards work). No appointment is needed.
- Be prepared to pay $60.25 for the background check.
- Please upload your Accurate Biometrics confirmation receipts to your Swing profile.
Substitute teachers must take a Tuberculosis (TB) Skin Test and receive a negative result. Here are three options:
- Request a TB test from you personal physician. Upload your results to your Swing profile.
- Set up a TB test with Concentra.
- If you already have a negative TB test on file from within the past 4 years, we can accept that. Simply upload it to your Swing account.
Note: Your TB test must be renewed every 4 years.
Substitute teachers must take and pass a drug screen from Concentra.
- Bring this form and walk in at any Concentra Location to complete your drug screen. You can either walk in or schedule an appointment in advance by calling.
- Be prepared to pay for your drug screen. At Concentra, the current cost for a drug screen is $77.50.
- Note: your performance on THC screening will not affect your employment with Swing. We do not screen for this, in compliance with CPS.
Chicago Public School Do Not Hire List
Before teaching with Swing Education, you will have to certify that, to the best of your knowledge, you have never been on the CPS Do Not Hire List.
How do I know if I’m on the Do Not Hire list?
If you ever worked at a CPS school and were added to the CPS Do Not Hire List, then you would have received a letter regarding your Do Not Hire designation. If you have questions, please visit this link: https://cps.edu/EmployeeEngagement/Pages/oee.aspx and click 'Do Not Hire' tab for more information
Mandated Reporter Acknowledgment Form
All substitute teachers in Illinois are Mandated Reporters under the Abused and Neglected Child Reporting Act [325 ILCS 5/4]. Please log in to your account to review and sign the Mandated Reporter Acknowledgment form to acknowledge your child abuse and neglect reporting obligations under the law.
How do I get a Substitute teaching license? Click here for step-by-step instructions: https://support.swingeducation.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500001308762
Getting a Sub license
Once you have an account, log in and click “Apply for a New License, Endorsement, or Approval” on the home screen. Complete the application.
A $50 fee will be assessed electronically when the application is submitted. Please have a credit card available.
Send an official* transcript either electronically to email@example.com, or via mail to:
Illinois State Board of Education
100 N. 1st Street
Springfield, IL 62777
*To be official, transcripts must be submitted in the original, sealed envelope from the college or university or be sent directly by the institution to the Illinois State Board of Education.
Register your license
Once you have obtained your license, you must register your license before you can start working as a substitute teacher. Simply log in to your ELIS account and follow the steps under Registrations in the Action Center.