How to Get a Substitute Teaching Certificate in Arizona

There are multiple different certificates that the state of Arizona can accept. This is a general guide that will cover how to apply for a Substitute, PreK-12 certificate. 

How to Apply for a Substitute, PreK-12 Certificate in Arizona

Step 1: Figure out if you meet the Certification Requirements

According to the Arizona Department of Education (AZED), aspiring subs need to have the following to apply for this cert: 

  • Application: A completed Application for Certification.
  • Fee: The fee for this certificate is $60. Per Board-rule certification fees are non-refundable. 
  • IVP Fingerprint Clearance Card: A valid Arizona DPS IVP Fingerprint Clearance Card.
  • Official Transcripts: Official transcripts documenting a Bachelor's degree or higher. 
    • Note: If you completed your degree and applicable coursework at an institution outside the United States, you must submit an evaluation from a department approved foreign credential evaluation agency. Please see the "Approved Foreign Credential Evaluation Agencies" list for further information.

You can find a more in-depth list of the requirements in the "Prepare and Submit an Application" section of the AZED website. 

Step 2: Apply Online

The AZED offers two options for applying for a cert, including applying via mail. Applying for certification online is the quickest and easiest way to apply. Once you have met all your requirements, you can apply online: 

Step 3: Check your Application Status

In the AZEDCert Educator Portal, you may view the status of your current credentials as well as the status of your application that you have submitted online. 

Please note that the processing time for your application may vary depending on the time of year.

  • During the months of September through April, please expect a processing time of 3-4 weeks.
  • During the months of May through August, please allow 4-8 weeks for processing. 

How do I Renew my Arizona Substitute, PreK-12 Credential?

The AZED website has more information on how to renew your credentials.

According to the AZED website:

A Substitute certificate may be renewed six months prior to its expiration date and up to 10 years after it expires. If your certificate has expired for more than 10 years you must reapply for certification under the requirements in effect at the time of re-application.

There are no professional development or coursework requirements to renew Substitute and JROTC certificates.

Where can Apply for a Renewal:

You can apply for a renewal through the AZED Certification website:


How long does it take to get a substitute certificate in Arizona?

According to the website, it can take 4-10 weeks to process, depending on the time of year.

How long does it take for Swing to review my Arizona Sub Cert?

After you submit your Educator ID to Swing, it can take up to 1-2 business days for us to verify your cert. Once we've verified your certificate, you'll receive an email notification and see the next steps appear on your Swing account.

What if I already have a different Credential?

An acceptable credential is required to substitute teach in Arizona. Because of the many different types of credentials and certificates Arizona offers, Swing has complex guidelines on what we can and can't accept. 

If you believe you have an acceptable credential, please add your Educator ID number into your Swing account and our team will review it within the next few business days.