How to Apply For or Renew Your Sub Permit in California

If you're a Swing Sub in California, getting a sub permit is a fabulous idea- you'll be able to see more requests (that are often also higher paying!), and your qualifications will be more desirable to schools. 

The CTC has recently modified its standards and now include new pathways to obtaining sub permits, meaning that the CBEST is no longer required! That said, our Compliance Officer is hard at work reviewing these new opportunities to fulfill the Basic Skills Requirement (please feel free to explore the link yourself and see what option is the best for you) but in the meantime, you can use the following as a guide for your permit application if you have taken and passed the CBEST already:


How do I fill out the application itself?

Great question! Here's a step-by-step guide on the application form: How do I complete the California Permit application form? 

I've applied for my permit, now what?

That's wonderful! You should have been notified by the CTC about the estimated processing time and status of your application. Once you’ve been approved please log in to your Swing account and add your document.  

How do I renew my permit?

It's very simple to renew your permit! All you need to do is check out this website from the CTC - it has more information on how to renew it online, which should be processed within two weeks. Once you’ve been renewed please log in to your Swing account and update your document.  

These following articles may also be helpful: