Swing Education would love to get you into the classroom. In order to do so, you’ll need a valid credential, like a Substitute License issued through the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE)
Luckily, getting your substitute license is just a few simple steps!
1. Create your Educator Licensure Information System (ELIS) account here:
- Click here to start: https://apps.isbe.net/iwasnet/login.aspx
- If this is your first time applying, click "CLICK HERE FOR FIRST TIME ACCESS TO THE ELIS SYSTEM"
- Follow the prompts to create your account
2. Apply for a new license
Once your account is created, log in to ELIS and click on “Apply for a New License, Endorsement, or Approval”
On the home screen, complete the application
1. $50 application fee: You will navigate to a new web page when prompted to submit a $50 application fee.
2. $60 license registration fee: After your Sub License is issued, you’ll need to register it with the county you’ll be working in. You can find more information on this process in Step 4.
Note: ISBE is offering to payment to cover the cost of the application fee if you work ten full school days within a year of receiving your Sub License. A form to submit for payment is available here through the ISBE. Swing cannot fill out the “school or district official” section of the form, so you will need to ask each school you worked to complete a different form and submit them to ISBE at the same time. Learn more here.
3. Request a digital transcript from your University.
Please contact your university registrar and have them email your official digital transcript to: email@example.com
Once complete, click I requested my transcript in your Swing Education account.
4. Register your Sub License and Share your IEIN number with Swing
Once your application is approved and your transcripts are received (typically 1-2 weeks), you will receive an email from ISBE prompting you to log back into your account to register your Sub License.
Note: You will register for the region in which you desire to work, and we strongly advise registering in Cook County — most of our school partners are located there.
Additionally, you will need to register in each place you work thereafter. To do this, simply follow the prompts in the email from ISBE. Once logged in, click “Registrations” in your Action Center and follow the prompts to finish license registration. You will also see a yellow banner, which you can click.
5. Confirming Sub License
Once registered, please confirm with Swing by uploading your receipt in your Swing Education account.
Your sub license will be valid for 5 years, after which you will simply pay a fee to renew your license after the 5-year period.
After your license is registered, your IEIN # will be valid. Please share this with Swing Education by logging into your Swing Education account. Once verified, we can move you on to your next onboarding steps.