IMPORTANT NOTICE: In the midst of COVID-19 (coronavirus), we understand that many of our school partners are taking the necessary measures to keep their children and staff safe.
Due to the extremely high number of school closures and the safety of the public, all Swing Hero assignments are canceled. If you had a Swing Hero commitment, it will no longer appear in your commitments tab. When Swing Hero assignments resume, you will automatically begin seeing new requests. As we continue to learn about more school closures, we will keep you updated with changes to the Swing Hero Program.
We empathize with your concerns around the impact of school closures on your families and communities. For additional information on these types of situations, please see our Coronavirus FAQs.
Swing Heroes is a program for filling last-minute requests in the same schools we already partner with for standard requests. Some teacher absences can’t be anticipated in advance, such as illness-related or other last-minute absences. Swing Heroes is designed to cover last-minute absences, minimize classroom disruptions and encourage learning when a teacher is unexpectedly out.
Because Swing Heroes is designed to fill last-minute absences, the program is limited to school districts with a high rate of last-minute absences. If you do not see Swing Hero requests when you log into your account, it is likely because schools in your region have a lower rate of last-minute absences.
Advantages for Subs
Unlike standard requests, you can secure a Swing Heroes request up to 14 days in advance. The pay rate for Swing Heroes is often higher than for standard requests, and you’re guaranteed to be paid even if your local schools end up not needing a sub that day. Plus, Swing Heroes saves you the hassle of having to constantly check our site or app for last-minute requests. For more details, see our FAQ page.
How it Works
Substitute teachers who accept Swing Hero requests allow Swing Education to reserve on-call subs in anticipation of last-minute requests from schools. Because requests from schools come in at the last minute, we won’t be able to tell you the name of the school up front, but we can tell you the city where you’ll be teaching. Additionally, we can tell you the range of grades you may end up teaching, but not the exact grade.
For example, when you accept a Swing Hero assignment, you may see “A school in San Rafael” but not the exact school. This means Swing Education has reserved on-call subs for schools in San Rafael that are likely to have last-minute absences. You may also see “Grades K-5”, which means that Swing Education is reserving on-call subs for grades kindergarten through 5th grade. Swing will communicate the exact school and grade to the on-call sub when the last-minute request comes in from the school, 0-24 hours before the committed date.
Please note: you will only be matched with schools your account is already linked to. Also, you will only be matched with assignments for which you have the appropriate credentials.
Accepting a Swing Hero Request
- To sign up, log into your account and look for the yellow Swing Hero flag on the request. You will see the minimum pay rate and region in the request. (If the school has a rate that is higher than the minimum pay rate, you’ll be paid the higher of the two.)
- The morning of the request, no later than 9:30 a.m, you will receive a text message with final details of the assignment including school and subject.
- Plan ahead and be on time. The school day can start as early as 7 a.m., so you'll want to be awake, checking your messages, and ready to commute to campus by 6 a.m. (The text message may arrive overnight, so look carefully through your message history.) If you are matched with a school after the start time, please call the school and let them know what time you’ll arrive.
- If you do not receive final details by 9:30 a.m. on the morning of the assignment, we will send you a text message telling you that you are relieved from your Swing Hero assignment for the day. You will still be paid the rate listed on the request, and you’ll be free to accept another request for the same day.
- Cancellations: we understand that life happens, but in the interest of ensuring classrooms are covered for the day, we strongly discourage last-minute Swing Hero cancellations. If you need to cancel, please do so at least 48 hours in advance. Cancelling after you have been matched to a specific Swing Hero assignment can lead to exclusion from the Swing Hero program.
Ready to be a Swing Hero?
Just log in and look for open requests with the yellow Swing Heroes ribbon.
Swing Heroes vs. Standard Requests
|Accept on online platform||✔||✔|
|Booking window||As they come, usually 0-3 days prior to the request||Up to 14 days in advance|
|Lock in pay long before the assignment||X||✔|
|Weekly digest of open requests||X||✔|
|Request Information Available|
|Grade Level||✔||Choose K-5, 6-12, or all grades|
|Exact Location||✔||0-24 hours before the committed date|
|Subject||✔||0-24 hours before the committed date|
Have questions? Contact our Support Team!