Schools: In cases where the school is canceled due to public health concerns, Swing Education will waive any cancellation penalties. However, you must inform us before canceling in order to waive penalties. For more information, see our COVID-19 (Coronavirus) FAQs for School Partners.
We understand that substitute teachers and schools depend on the commitments they make to each other, and it’s a huge inconvenience when those commitments are broken. That’s why we’ve instituted a cancellation policy that we feel is fair to everyone.
School Partner Cancellations
- A school can cancel an unfilled request at any time without penalty. Filled requests may also be canceled up to 24 hours before the start time.
- If a school cancels a filled request within 24 hours of the start time, it is considered a “late cancellation” and the school will be invoiced the pay rate of a single-day request. The invoiced amount goes directly to the confirmed substitute since it is difficult for them to find a new assignment on such short notice.
- A school can not make changes to a filled request that result in a decrease in pay within 24 hours of the day in question, or a cancellation penalty will be applied
- Ex: If you have a week long request and on Tuesday you request for Wednesday to be removed for the request, it will result in a cancellation penalty
(In these cases, a school will not be invoiced.)
- The school cancels the request within 30 minutes of a sub filling the request.
- The school cancels the request due to negative sub feedback. Please cancel the request on the platform and select “Dissatisfied with sub” as the reason.
- The school or Swing Education cancels the request due to an emergency school closing. Examples of emergency closures may include natural disasters, health or safety threats such as pandemics, shootings or bomb threats, any damage preventing usage of school facilities such as fire, flood or other structural damage, and unforeseen circumstances.
Substitute Teacher Cancellations
Standard requests: A substitute teacher can cancel up to 24 hours before the start of an assignment without any penalty.
- If a substitute teacher cancels an assignment within 24 hours of the start time, it is considered a “late cancellation” and the sub’s Swing Status will be negatively affected.
- If the substitute teacher cancels frequently, Swing Education will contact the teacher to understand the cause of the cancellations and to communicate the negative impact to teacher ratings. If a pattern of cancellations is observed, the substitute teacher may be removed from the platform.
Swing Hero requests: Swing Hero cancellations within 48 hours of an assignment may reduce a teacher’s eligibility for the Swing Hero program.
- Swing Hero “guaranteed pay” excludes school closures due to emergency situations. Examples of emergency closures may include natural disasters, health or safety threats such as widespread outbreaks of disease, shootings, or bomb threats, any damage preventing usage of school facilities such as fire, flood, or other structural damage and unforeseen circumstances. See Swing Hero FAQs for more information.